COVID-19 Resources for Families
Teaching Tools for Kids:
- What’s COVID-19? Click here.
- Coronavirus Social Story for Children via Little Puddins: https://littlepuddins.ie/coronavirus-social-story/
- Handwashing Visual Steps via n2y: Click here.
- CDC Handwashing Guide for Families: https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/pdf/family_handwashing-508.pdf
Tips for Caregivers:
- What to Do When Your Child on the Autism Spectrum’s Routine Is Disrupted by the Coronavirus? https://themighty.com/2020/03/covid-19-autism-routine-disruption/
- Parent/Caregiver Guide on How to Help Kids and Family Members Cope: https://www.nctsn.org/sites/default/files/resources/fact-sheet/outbreak_factsheet_1.pdf
- How to Explain a Global Health Crisis to Children with Autism: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/neuroscience-in-translation/202003/how-explain-global-health-crisis-children-autism
- Local Resources: https://www.yellowpagesforkids.com
- US Dept. of Education Q&A on Providing Services to Children with Disabilities During the Coronavirus Disease Outbreak: Click here.
How to Practice Social Distancing:
- Article: What is Social Distancing? https://themighty.com/2020/03/covid-19-what-is-social-distancing
- Social Distancing Tips: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) currently recommends keeping 6 to 10 feet between yourself and others as much as possible. Many states have banned large gatherings of more than 250 people. Even if you’re in a small group, experts recommend keeping at least 6 feet between people and practicing good hygiene, especially washing your hands often. The CDC also recommends:
- Cancel travel plans
- Stay home when you are sick
- Limit your movement within and outside your community
- Reduce your number of visitors
- Work from home if possible
- Transition meetings and gatherings online
- Try to visit grocery stores and other public establishments at less-crowded times
- Which Face Masks Prevent Against Coronavirus?
- How Is the New Coronavirus Treated?
- How to Make Your Own Hand Sanitizer
- What You Should Know About Social Distancing During COVID-19
- 8 Soaps You Can Use to Help Prevent the Spread of Illness
- 10 Face Masks People With Chronic Illness Recommend
Other Issues to Consider:
- Maintaining Wandering Prevention in the Home: https://nationalautismassociation.org/store/#!/NAAs-Be-REDy-Booklet-for-Caregivers/p/57859415/category=23350149
- Preventing & Responding to Pica: https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/pica.html
- How to Create a Sensory Room: https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-to-create-a-sensory-room-for-your-autistic-child-4686413
- DIY Sensory Items Booklet via ASA Oregon: http://autismsocietyoregon.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Sensory-booklet.pdf